There’s plenty of herb and mushroom flavor for friends and family to savor in this hearty, healthful side dish. It would go well with a variety of meats and main dishes. Tammy Condit – League City, Texas
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute the onion, peppers and celery in oil for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic; saute 3 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the rice, water and seasonings; bring to a boil.
- Carefully transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Veggie Mushroom Rice in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009, p52
Reviews for Veggie Mushroom Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review