Veggie Meatball Stew
An elderly man I cared for shared this recipe with me. I'd make a batch for him and freeze half in single-serving portions for quick meals. I often prepare this for my own family and for church potlucks. - Linnie
Watkins, Hebo, Ohio
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 65 min.
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cups water
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup tomato sauce, egg, onion, bread crumbs,
- salt, pepper and allspice. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. In a large saucepan, brown meatballs; drain.
- Add the water, potatoes, carrots, peas, green pepper, soup mix and
- remaining tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and vegetables
- are tender. Yield: 8 servings.