An elderly man I cared for shared this recipe with me. I'd make a batch for him and freeze half in single-serving portions for quick meals. I often prepare this for my own family and for church potlucks. - Linnie Watkins, Hebo, Ohio
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cups water
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup tomato sauce, egg, onion, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and allspice. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a large saucepan, brown meatballs; drain. Add the water, potatoes, carrots, peas, green pepper, soup mix and remaining tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Meatball Stew in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p140
Reviews for Veggie Meatball Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 6, 2010
"I would add pasta."
Reviewed Nov. 15, 2008
"Wow, this sounds really good. I'm going to try this next time I need a good, satisfying supper!! Sounds like it would hit the spot on a winter night!"