- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 3 large carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, adding the broccoli, cauliflowerets, carrots and celery during the last 6 minutes. Drain; transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended. Gradually stir in milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cheese, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Pour over macaroni mixture; stir to coat. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Veggie Macaroni and Cheese
Sort By :
I mixed velveeta and cheddar cheese, also added a little cayenne pepper. My family loved it, good way to get them to eat more vegetables.
I found this to be rather bland, but it could be entirely my fault. The onion I purchased was rotten on the inside and I forgot to buy Dijon. So without these 2 ingredients, the taste could have been completely altered. I will try it again just b/c I had such high expectations.
This is a great meal for kids. My four year old gobbled it up and said, "more please"
This is yummy - but next time i make it i'll increase sauce by 50% - in my opinion this isn't quite enough. I put crushed ritz crackers on top.
It was okey. I will not do this recipe again because too much work for a side dish.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Pasta >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Macaroni and Cheese >
- Macaroni and Cheese Recipes >
- Macaroni Recipes >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Pasta Side Dish Recipes >
- Pasta Side Dishes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Side Dish Recipes >