- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 3 large carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook macaroni according to package directions, adding broccoli, cauliflowerets, carrots and celery during the last 6 minutes. Drain; transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended. Gradually stir in milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cheese, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Pour over macaroni mixture; stir to coat. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Veggie Macaroni and Cheese
Sort By :
"Delicious! I followed the recipe exactly and loved it. I made it on a Sunday and took leftovers for work lunches and it only got better and better as the week wore on. I sent half of the dish back to college with my daughter and she loved it also. Can't beat Mac & Cheese with veggies, so good and makes a complete meal just on it's own."
"I mixed velveeta and cheddar cheese, also added a little cayenne pepper. My family loved it, good way to get them to eat more vegetables."
"I found this to be rather bland, but it could be entirely my fault. The onion I purchased was rotten on the inside and I forgot to buy Dijon. So without these 2 ingredients, the taste could have been completely altered. I will try it again just b/c I had such high expectations."
"This is a great meal for kids. My four year old gobbled it up and said, "more please""
"This is yummy - but next time i make it i'll increase sauce by 50% - in my opinion this isn't quite enough. I put crushed ritz crackers on top."