- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 3 large carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook macaroni according to package directions, adding broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and celery during the last 6 minutes of cooking. Drain; transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute onion until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in milk and broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes; stir in cheese, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Add to macaroni mixture, stirring to coat; sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 15-20 minutes. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Veggie Macaroni & Cheese
"I used vegetable broth to make it vegetarian. It was good, a little bland. Not sure what is missing, maybe garlic salt?I'm not sure why another reviewer called it a side dish...veggies plus pasta plus sauce is one heck of a side dish. I served it as a main."
"We thought this was pretty good. I made it as directed except I just used a normal saucepan instead of a dutch oven (don't have one). I also cut it in half as we don't need 12 servings. I did add some minced garlic to saute with the onion in butter. I still feel like there is something missing. Either more salt or some sort of spice. Next time I will probably experiment more with this and try adding some things in. As-is, this is a decent recipe."
"Even my finicky husband and boys loved this recipe!"
"Delicious! I followed the recipe exactly and loved it. I made it on a Sunday and took leftovers for work lunches and it only got better and better as the week wore on. I sent half of the dish back to college with my daughter and she loved it also. Can't beat Mac & Cheese with veggies, so good and makes a complete meal just on it's own."
"I mixed velveeta and cheddar cheese, also added a little cayenne pepper. My family loved it, good way to get them to eat more vegetables."
"I found this to be rather bland, but it could be entirely my fault. The onion I purchased was rotten on the inside and I forgot to buy Dijon. So without these 2 ingredients, the taste could have been completely altered. I will try it again just b/c I had such high expectations."
"This is a great meal for kids. My four year old gobbled it up and said, "more please""
"This is yummy - but next time i make it i'll increase sauce by 50% - in my opinion this isn't quite enough. I put crushed ritz crackers on top."
"It was okey. I will not do this recipe again because too much work for a side dish."
"This recipe is delicious, and so colorful, too! I will definitely be making it again."