For scrumptious and super-healthy party fare, Sarah Mercer suggests her colorful, hearty fajitas packed with crisp-tender veggies. “My husband prefers these to chicken or beef fajitas and I serve them for dinner often,“ says the Wichita, Kansas cook.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup salsa
- In a large skillet, saute the vegetables, salt and pepper in oil for
- 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Using a slotted spoon, place
- about 1/2 cup vegetable mixture down the center of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle each with 1/4 cup cheese; fold in sides. Top with sour
- cream and salsa. Yield: 8 fajitas.
Nutritional Facts: 1 fajita equals 304 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 891 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.