- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- In a large saucepan, combine potatoes, broth, carrots and onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add corn, milk, cheese, mushrooms and pepper; cook and stir 4-6 minutes longer or until heated through. Sprinkle with bacon bits. Yield: 7 servings (1-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Veggie Chowder
"Such a good recipe to adjust as needed. I added last nights left over shrimp soup and more red pepper flakes. Also added a bit of macaroni (love the stuff). Also cut up some bacon and browned that in bottom of sauce pan and went on from there. Very tasty... will use this again!"
"I went to the store on my way home from work to buy the can of cream corn and bacon bits and I am glad that I did. This is a great soup. I added celery to this recipe. It turned out great!"
"I loved this soup and would recommend it."
"I'm vegetarian, so I used veggie broth instead of chicken broth, peas instead of carrots, added a little salt, opted out of the bacon and sauteed the onion with some fresh garlic and a dash of butter before throwing it in the pan. I also cooked everything in a slow cooker for a couple hours instead of on the stove. Tasted fabulous! We ate ours with a couple hot sandwiches. A cozy and filling meal."
"This was decent and quick, but I felt it was somewhat bland. I would have added more mushrooms, but sauteed them first in a skillet."