Veggie Chicken Pitas Recipe
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup fresh snow peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 10 pita pocket halves
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the onion, carrots, broccoli and peas in oil for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the chicken, red peppers, wine, oregano and cayenne; heat through. Spoon mixture into pita breads; sprinkle with cheeses. Yield: 5 servings.
2 filled pita halves: 362 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 574mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat
Reviews for Veggie Chicken Pitas
"Great recipe. I liked the idea of making it into a wrap rather than using pita bread, so that's what I did. Dipped it in a little fat free Ranch dressing. We loved it!!"
"This sandwich is delicious and very easy to make. I will absolutely be having this one again!"
"This was terrific! I've been trying to incorporate more vegetables into our diet and this certainly did just that. Whats better-my young son who does not like vegetables really enjoyed this. I did not have any snow peas so I simply left them out. I used garlic salt in place of the minced garlic and I chopped up a fresh red pepper to replace the jar of peppers. I sauteed the pepper with the other vegetables. I plan to put this is pitas next time, but today I had tortilla shells that I needed to use so I made this into a wrap instead. Still great!"
"Very delicious! I replaced the broccoli and peas with a little bit of chopped celery. I also did not put the red peppers in, and I added about 1/4 teaspoon of garlic salt. Still delicious!"
"Extremely tasty, my husband just loved this recipe and it was very filling."
"Do you use the hummus as an extra ingredient or to substitute one?"
"These are fast to make and very tastey. I definitely like them better with hummus"
"Definitely try it with hummus smeared on it."
"This sandwich is a winner! My whole family LOVED it!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.