These delicious pita pockets are literally stuffed with veggies, chicken and cheese. They make for great on-the-go dinners. (But bring a napkin!) —Bill Parkis, Wilmington, North Carolina
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup fresh snow peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 10 pita pocket halves
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, carrots, broccoli and peas in oil for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the chicken, red peppers, wine, oregano and cayenne; heat through. Spoon mixture into pita breads; sprinkle with cheeses. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Veggie Chicken Pitas in Simple & Delicious January/February 2009, p47
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Veggie Chicken Pitas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review