- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup fresh snow peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 10 pita pocket halves
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, carrots, broccoli and peas in oil for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the chicken, red peppers, wine, oregano and cayenne; heat through. Spoon mixture into pita breads; sprinkle with cheeses. Yield: 5 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Veggie Chicken Pitas
"Great recipe. I liked the idea of making it into a wrap rather than using pita bread, so that's what I did. Dipped it in a little fat free Ranch dressing. We loved it!!"
"This sandwich is delicious and very easy to make. I will absolutely be having this one again!"
"This was terrific! I've been trying to incorporate more vegetables into our diet and this certainly did just that. Whats better-my young son who does not like vegetables really enjoyed this. I did not have any snow peas so I simply left them out. I used garlic salt in place of the minced garlic and I chopped up a fresh red pepper to replace the jar of peppers. I sauteed the pepper with the other vegetables. I plan to put this is pitas next time, but today I had tortilla shells that I needed to use so I made this into a wrap instead. Still great!"
"Very delicious! I replaced the broccoli and peas with a little bit of chopped celery. I also did not put the red peppers in, and I added about 1/4 teaspoon of garlic salt. Still delicious!"
"Extremely tasty, my husband just loved this recipe and it was very filling."