- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- Hot cooked rice
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the green peppers, onion, celery and garlic in 2 teaspoons oil until tender. Add mushrooms; cook until liquid has evaporated. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, oregano, lemon juice, basil and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5-10 minutes or until slightly thickened and flavors are blended.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute chicken in remaining oil in batches until no longer pink. Return chicken to pan; stir in sauce. Heat through, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Serve over rice; garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Creole in Taste of Home October 2011, p53
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Veggie Chicken Creole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 17, 2011
"Simple to make, quick and pretty good! I added a little bit of salt though and I doubled the garlic."
Reviewed Sep. 29, 2011
"I left out the mushrooms and it needed salt"