Veggie Chicken Chili Recipe
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 large leek or 4 green onions (white part only), chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons each ground cumin, ground coriander and dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 cup dry white wine or additional chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1. In an large soup kettle, heat oil. Add next eight ingredients. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the broth, chicken, beans, tomatoes, chilies, brown sugar, cumin, coriander, oregano, Worcestershire sauce and salt if desired. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the wine or broth, cornstarch and chili powder; stir into chili. Cook and stir until thickened. Yield: 20 servings (5 quarts).
Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-sodium broth and tomatoes and without added salt) equals 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable; also, 138 calories, 121 mg sodium, 17 gm cholesterol, 19 gm carbohydrate, 11 gm protein, 3 gm fat.
Reviews for Veggie Chicken Chili
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.