Veggie Cheese Squares
I developed this recipe in my kitchen one busy afternoon when I looked in the fridge and there wasn't much there. With no time to shop, I used what I had. Now this nice and easy dish is a suppertime standby.Dixie Terry, Goreville, Illinois
4-6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, saute broccoli and red pepper in oil. Add garlic;
- cook 1 minute longer. Spoon into a greased 9-in. square baking dish.
- In a another large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, 3/4 cup cheese,
- thyme and salt.
- Pour over the broccoli mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for
- 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes
- longer or until the cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before
- cutting. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 193 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 167 mg cholesterol, 279 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.