Our home economists use purchased eggplant hummus to hold together these mini sandwiches. Feel free to use your family's favorite veggies.
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 carton (7 ounces) roasted eggplant hummus
- 10 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 10 slices whole wheat bread, crusts removed
- 20 cucumber slices
- 20 spinach leaves
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 2-inch strips
- 10 slices red onion, halved
- 8 pimiento-stuffed olives, drained and patted dry
- 8 pitted ripe olives, drained and patted dry
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add hummus; beat until combined. Cut each slice of bread in half widthwise. Spread hummus mixture over 10 white bread halves and 10 wheat bread halves. Top each with cucumber, spinach, red pepper and red onion.
- Top white bread halves with remaining white bread; top wheat bread halves with remaining wheat bread. Thread toothpicks through olives; insert into 16 sandwiches.
- Arrange sandwiches on a platter or covered board to resemble a checkerboard, placing the green olive-topped sandwiches on one side, black olive-topped sandwiches on the other side and the four plain sandwiches in the center. Yield: 20 sandwiches.
Originally published as Veggie Checkerboard Sandwiches in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p184
Reviews for Veggie Checkerboard Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review