Veggie Black Bean Stew Recipe
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup each chopped celery, carrot and sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 5 tablespoons shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 5 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook the onions, celery, carrot and red pepper in sherry and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the beans, can of broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, honey, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the cilantro; simmer 5-15 minutes longer or until stew is thickened. Garnish with cheese, sour cream and green onion. Yield: 5 servings.
1-1/2 cup equals 385 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 922 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 15 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.