- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup each chopped celery, carrot and sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 5 tablespoons shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 5 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook the onions, celery, carrot and red pepper in sherry and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the beans, can of broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, honey, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro; simmer 5-15 minutes longer or until stew is thickened. Garnish with cheese, sour cream and green onion. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Veggie Black Bean Stew
Sort By :
"Awesome stew! This was my first stew-making experience ever, and I made some mistakes, but It still turned out incredible! I'm stuffed."
"First, I doubled the recipe since it was for a Christmas dinner. I, too, did a mix of beans. I used 4 cans of black beans, 1 can of black eyed peas and 1 can of white beans for a variety. It went over really well! I like that you have the cheese and sour cream on the side so that each person can as much as they personally like in this kind of meal."
"This has a great combination of flavors. Very interesting contrast to a black bean chili. I did substitute a can of pinto beans for one can of black beans to vary the textures."
"This recipe is so easy. I made it vegetarian by using veggie broth instead of chicken broth. I also added NM Hatch green chiles. YUMMY!"