Veggie Beef Chili Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) hominy, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions, undrained
- 1 cup light beer or beef broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the zucchini, yellow squash and red pepper; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
One serving (1 cup) equals 223 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 439 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Veggie Beef Chili
"I have been making this chili for years and everyone who has tasted it loves it. I have yet to put the beef in it and even the meat lovers have enjoyed it."