Veggie Beef Burgers
I developed this recipe as a way to get more nutritious vegetables into our diet. Be sure to finely chop the vegetables (I use my food processor) so that they cook thoroughly. - Dolores Tolson, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- Lettuce leaves and sliced onion, tomatoes and pickles
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add liquid smoke, salt
- and pepper if desired. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape
- into eight patties. Broil, grill or pan-fry until meat is no longer
- pink. Serve on buns with lettuce, onion, tomatoes and pickles.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 317 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 344 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.