Veggie Bean Tacos Recipe
Authentic Mexican dishes like this one are flavorful and naturally low fat without sacrificing the taste. The flavors leave you always wanting that next bite. Just a preference is a squeeze of lime juice over the avocado.
- 2 cups fresh corn
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- Reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, saute corn in 1 tablespoon oil until lightly browned. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute tomatoes, zucchini and onion in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the beans, oregano, salt, pepper and corn; heat through.
- 2. Divide filling among tortillas. Top with cheese, salsa, avocado and, if desired, sour cream. Yield: 6 servings.
2 tacos (calculated without sour cream) equals 378 calories, 16 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 517 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC