In the summer when fresh corn and just-picked tomatoes are in season, authentic Mexican dishes like this leave you always wanting that next bite. My personal preference is to serve them with a slice of lime to squeeze over the avocado. —Tonya Burkhard, Davis, Illinois
Featured In: 68 Cinco de Mayo Party Recipes
- 2 cups fresh corn
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- Reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, saute corn in 1 tablespoon oil until lightly browned. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute tomatoes, zucchini and onion in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the beans, oregano, salt, pepper and corn; heat through.
- Divide filling among tortillas. Top with cheese, salsa, avocado and, if desired, sour cream. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Veggie Bean Tacos in Healthy Cooking August/September 2011, p52
Reviews for Veggie Bean Tacos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 13, 2011
"This is a very easy and tasty recipe. I liked it better than I thought it would..the blend of ingredients was very good. Spiced it up with Red pepper flakes and other spices."