Veggie Bean Soup Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cubed peeled potato
- 1/2 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and carrots in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup (prepared with reduced-sodium chicken broth; calculated without salt) equals 171 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 567 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 lean meat.
Reviews for Veggie Bean Soup
"Made this just now (without the potato) ... It is absolutely delicious!!"
"This is an excellent soup. I cooked it a little longer though, more like 25 minutes. I served it with the Tuna Cheese Sandwiches in the same issue."