From Williamson, West Virginia, Lois Dean writes, “As chairman of the kitchen at my church, I wanted a meatless soup for a Lenten lunch. I came up with this colorful vegetable recipe and got rave reviews.”
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cubed peeled potato
- 1/2 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and carrots in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Veggie Bean Soup in Quick Cooking January/February 2006, p40
Reviews for Veggie Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 31, 2013
"Made this just now (without the potato) ... It is absolutely delicious!!"
Reviewed Jan. 27, 2011
"This is an excellent soup. I cooked it a little longer though, more like 25 minutes. I served it with the Tuna Cheese Sandwiches in the same issue."