I serve this as a meatless main dish, but it also makes a nice side dish. It freezes and reheats well, so I’ll sometimes double the recipe. It has a colorful combination of carrots, corn, beans and tomatoes.
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons picante sauce
- In a large Dutch oven, saute the carrots, celery, onion, green pepper in oil for 5 minutes. Add the garlic. chili powder and cumin; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until thickened and vegetables are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Veggie Bean Casserole in Country Extra January 2007, p49
Reviews for Veggie Bean Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 19, 2011
"This was really good and so easy to make. My husband and I loved this."