Veggie Barley Salad Recipe
"When I took this salad to a family potluck, it was such a hit! I often fix it with basil-flavored vinegar that I make each summer. The longer this chills, the tastier it gets." --Kathy Rairigh of Milford, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling YIELD:6 servings
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 small zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring the broth, water and barley to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the tomato, zucchini, yellow pepper and parsley. Stir in barley. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, water, lemon juice, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over barley mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Just before serving, stir in almonds. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup equals 211 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 334 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC