Veggie Barley Salad Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 small zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring the broth, water and barley to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the tomato, zucchini, yellow pepper and parsley. Stir in barley. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, water, lemon juice, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over barley mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Just before serving, stir in almonds. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup: 211 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 7g fiber), 6g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 fat.
Reviews for Veggie Barley Salad
"I love this salad. The only addition I made was 1/3 cup of pine nuts I had that I toasted. The salad didn't need them but I wanted to use them up."