- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 small zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a small saucepan, bring the broth, water and barley to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomato, zucchini, yellow pepper and parsley. Stir in barley. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, water, lemon juice, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over barley mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Just before serving, stir in almonds. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Veggie Barley Salad in Light & Tasty June/July 2007, p19
Reviews for Veggie Barley Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 22, 2009
"I love this salad. The only addition I made was 1/3 cup of pine nuts I had that I toasted. The salad didn't need them but I wanted to use them up."