Vegetarian Tex-Mex Peppers Recipe
“Folks who enjoy stuffed peppers will love this delightfully delicious, Tex-Mex twist on their old favorite.” A bonus? The veggie filling is hearty enough to satisfy meat-eaters! Cele Knight - Nacogdoches, Texas
- 4 large green peppers
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom, optional
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Discard stems. In a Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine eggs, rice, meat crumbles, beans, pepper, pepper sauce and, if desired, cardamom. Spoon into peppers. Place in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine diced tomatoes, tomatoes and green chilies, and tomato sauce. Spoon over peppers. Cover and bake 40-45 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
2 stuffed pepper halves equals 364 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 119 mg cholesterol, 769 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC