Vegetarian Tex-Mex Peppers Recipe
- 4 large green peppers
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom, optional
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Discard stems. In a Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine eggs, rice, meat crumbles, beans, pepper, pepper sauce and, if desired, cardamom. Spoon into peppers. Place in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine diced tomatoes, tomatoes and green chilies, and tomato sauce. Spoon over peppers. Cover and bake 40-45 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
2 each: 364 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 769mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 11g fiber), 19g protein .
Reviews for Vegetarian Tex-Mex Peppers
"These were OK, but I prefer stuffed peppers than contain ground beef."
"Smart Ground is my stand-by brand of soy crumbles. I use them in chili, and meat-eaters can't tell the difference."
"I actually added some ground meat instead of making this vegetarian. I also substituted white beans for the black beans b/c I didn't have black beans. I also left out the hot pepper sauce and some of the diced tomatoes."
"Morningstar is the brand of vegetarian meat crumbles I use, found in the frozen food aisles. Boca is another brand you might find."
"I think it's called TVP or Textured Vegetable Protein. I use dried instead of frozen...it can be prepared by soaking in boiled water for 10 minutes to rehydrate. The brand I use is 'Bob's Red Mill'."
"I assume that the vegetarian meat mixture referred to is the tofu/soy mixture you can find in your market's produce dept. It is very tasty."
"What in the world are "vegetarian meat crumbles"? What is a brand namer?"
"Rice mixture is a bit dry. Would consider adding something to moisten the stuffing."