Vegetarian Tex-Mex Peppers Recipe
- 4 large green peppers
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, beaten
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom, optional
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby cheese
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Discard stems. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, rice, meat crumbles, beans, pepper, pepper sauce and cardamom if desired. Spoon into peppers. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, tomatoes and green chilies, and tomato sauce. Spoon over peppers. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Vegetarian Tex-Mex Peppers(9)
Sort By :
These were OK, but I prefer stuffed peppers than contain ground beef.
Smart Ground is my stand-by brand of soy crumbles. I use them in chili, and meat-eaters can't tell the difference.
We apologize for any confusion around the vegetarian meat crumbles ingredient. Vegetarian meat crumbles are a nutritious protein source from soy. Look for them in the natural foods freezer section.
Taste of Home Test Kitchen
I actually added some ground meat instead of making this vegetarian. I also substituted white beans for the black beans b/c I didn't have black beans. I also left out the hot pepper sauce and some of the diced tomatoes.
Morningstar is the brand of vegetarian meat crumbles I use, found in the frozen food aisles. Boca is another brand you might find.
More Recipe Collections
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Casserole Recipes >
- Mexican Casseroles >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >