“Folks who enjoy stuffed peppers will love this delightfully delicious, Tex-Mex twist on their old favorite.” A bonus? The veggie filling is hearty enough to satisfy meat-eaters! Cele Knight - Nacogdoches, Texas
- 4 large green peppers
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom, optional
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Discard stems. In a Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, rice, meat crumbles, beans, pepper, pepper sauce and, if desired, cardamom. Spoon into peppers. Place in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine diced tomatoes, tomatoes and green chilies, and tomato sauce. Spoon over peppers. Cover and bake 40-45 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Vegetarian Tex-Mex Peppers in Healthy Cooking February/March 2009, p51
Reviews for Vegetarian Tex-Mex Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review