- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup cubed Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives
- 1/3 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup canned red beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 large sweet peppers
- 3/4 cup meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Place the first 12 ingredients in a large bowl; mix lightly to combine. Cut and discard tops from sweet peppers; remove seeds. Fill peppers with rice mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix spaghetti sauce and water; pour half of the mixture into an oval 5-qt. slow cooker. Add filled peppers. Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- Cook, covered, on low 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until heated through and peppers are tender. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
Sort By :
"YUK! I should have heeded the review that said it was only "edible" -- but it wasn't even that good. It took a LONG time to prepare; hubby finally gave me a hand. I will say this: the stuffing was excellent BEFORE I added the spaghetti sauce to it (following the advice of one of the reviewers), but the spaghetti sauce ruined it, conflicting with the taste of the stuffing. Last, but not least, the peppers were all wrong; both hubby and I threw them out. I would make the stuffing again if they didn't take so long to prepare, but, as hubby said, it's not worth it. This recipe got tossed out!"
"My family really likes this recipe. I usually half the stuffing and spread it between four peppers. I still have plenty left over. I tend to use a can of Italian-style diced tomatoes because it cuts down on the prep work, and adding a bit of sauce to the stuffing gives it more flavor."
"We really enjoyed this and will definitely make this often, the only changes I made was I subsituted with pepper jack cheese and added 2 Tbsps of Worcester shire sauce. One note only four large peppers fit in my 6 qt slow cooker so next time I'll bake this in the oven. Easy and delicious!"
"Made this yesterday. Found it edible, but didn't get seconds. Not going to be my go-to recipe."
"I made these last night for my daughter and I. We both loved them! The only change I will make next time is to add some extra spaghetti sauce directly to the mixture before filling the peppers. I think this would make them a tad more flavorful and moisten them up a bit. When you pour the spaghetti sauce directly on top of the pepper, it doesn't get down into the rice mixture at all. I also baked them at 400 for an hour because I didn't have time to make them in the crockpot. Think I will try the crockpot method next time. Overall, delicious!"