Vegetarian Stew in Bread Bowls Recipe
- 3 cups cubed red potatoes (about 4 medium)
- 2 cups chopped celery (about 4 ribs)
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-3/4 cups coarsely chopped peeled parsnips (about 2 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots (about 3 medium)
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 8 large sourdough rolls
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 8-9 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into stew. Cook, covered, on high 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each roll. Hollow out rolls, leaving 1/2-in.-thick shells (save removed bread for another use). Serve stew in bread bowls. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Vegetarian Stew in Bread Bowls
Sort By :
My husband and I agreed that this was tasty, but we both thought it was missing something...meat! I think this would be a great alternative for vegans.
This was a very good hearty meat alternative meal, the flavors blended well together. This is a keeper.