Vegetarian Stew in Bread Bowls Recipe
My husband had just gotten me a slow cooker after our third baby was born and I didn't have a lot of time to cook. This was our first meal out of it! Make sure all of the vegetables are cut the same size so they cook evenly.Maria Keller, Antioch, Illinois
- 3 cups cubed red potatoes (about 4 medium)
- 2 cups chopped celery (about 4 ribs)
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-3/4 cups coarsely chopped peeled parsnips (about 2 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots (about 3 medium)
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 10 round loaves sourdough bread (8 to 9 ounces each)
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 8-9 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into stew. Cook, covered, on high 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each bread loaf. Hollow out bottoms of loaves, leaving 1/2-in.-thick shells (save removed bread for another use). Serve stew in bread bowls. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Vegetarian Stew in Bread Bowls in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2011, p52
Reviews for Vegetarian Stew in Bread Bowls(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 9, 2012
This was a very good hearty meat alternative meal, the flavors blended well together. This is a keeper.
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Vegetarian Recipes >