Shortly before we had our third child, my husband wisely got our first slow cooker. This was the first recipe I tried on a cool day. It felt great to both take care of the kids and eat a warm, homemade meal at the end of the day. —Maria Keller, Antioch, Illinois
Featured In: 12 Recipes to Make in a Bread Bowl
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups cubed red potatoes (about 4 medium)
- 2 cups chopped celery (about 4 ribs)
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-3/4 cups coarsely chopped peeled parsnips (about 2 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots (about 3 medium)
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 8 large sourdough rolls
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 8-9 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into stew. Cook, covered, on high 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each roll. Hollow out rolls, leaving 1/2-in.-thick shells (save removed bread for another use). Serve stew in bread bowls. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Vegetarian Stew in Bread Bowls in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2011, p52
Reviews forVegetarian Stew in Bread Bowls
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 18, 2016
"Yum! I have made this many times!"
Reviewed Dec. 9, 2012
"This was a very good hearty meat alternative meal, the flavors blended well together. This is a keeper."