Vegetarian Split Pea Soup Recipe
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups dried green split peas, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons shredded carrots
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Add salt and pepper; simmer 10 minutes longer. Cool slightly. In small batches, puree soup in a blender; return to the pan. Heat for 5 minutes. Garnish with shredded carrots and green onions. Yield: 7 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 204 calories, 1 g fat (0.55 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1047 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 13 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.