Vegetarian Split Pea Soup Recipe
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups dried green split peas, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons shredded carrots
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper; simmer 10 minutes longer. Cool slightly. In small batches, puree soup in a blender; return to the pan. Heat for 5 minutes. Garnish with shredded carrots and green onions. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Vegetarian Split Pea Soup(24)
Sort By :
Didn't add any additional salt and it was fantastic!
Fantastic soup, but as a FORMER sufferer of high blood pressure, I skipped the gram of sodium per serving by using water instead of commercial veggie broth. To my palate there was no lack of flavor.
This was really good! I've never had split pea soup before, but I think I'm a new fan. I love how much veggie goodness is packed in here.
This is just as good as any pea soup I've had out and I will make this again. I made my own broth to use because I didn't want the sodium laden store bought and I don't like the taste anyway. I didn't use cumin either, but I did give it a SLIGHT, splash of liquid smoke to mimic the smoky flavor of a ham bone. The last batch I didn't puree, just to give it some substance. Enjoying now, yum!
Great soup that doesn't require meat at all. My 26 year old son loves it with a grilled cheese sandwich alongside! I did make some changes from the original recipe. I have made this soup twice. I did not do the blender thing. It's really not necessary. Using 3 qts. veg broth. Soup was too thick last time.2 1/2 cups peas8 medium small carrots4 large cloves garlic (never too much garlic!)1 lg bay leaffresh thymeNo marjoram, basil, celery, or cumin only b/c I don't have these things. I do have cumin but I don't want it to taste Mexican. I used thyme because it's in the garden and other reviewers used it. I used bay because others did and I had some. The soup turned out terrific!This soup will foam will bringing it to a boil. It isn't a problem.All ingredients are organic. Broth is Whole Foods 365 organic vegetable broth. This time I used 2-1 1/2 qt. containers because the price is better on this larger size box. Do NOT salt until the end. The broth has salt in it. Wait until the end and salt to taste. I think a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt as a garnish would be deluxe!