Vegetarian Split Pea Soup Recipe
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups dried green split peas, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons shredded carrots
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper; simmer 10 minutes longer. Cool slightly. In small batches, puree soup in a blender; return to the pan. Heat for 5 minutes. Garnish with shredded carrots and green onions. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Vegetarian Split Pea Soup
Sort By :
"Absolutely the best split pea soup. Normally I add ham or bacon to get extra flavor, but with this recipe you don't need to. I love it!! Kids love it!! Two thumbs up!!"
"This is incredibly easy and tasty. I've been looking for a go-to split pea soup recipe. And I've finally found it! Thanks!"
"Yum! Very good and flavorful! I only blended half of the soup for a more hearty texture. Will try adding some veggie bacon next time too. Will make again forsure."
"OMG. This was terrific and a keeper. Thank you so much for posting...I omitted the salt,hubby can't have it. But neither of us cared it was so good."
"Didn't add any additional salt and it was fantastic!"