Vegetarian Split Pea Soup Recipe
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups dried green split peas, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons shredded carrots
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper; simmer 10 minutes longer. Cool slightly. In small batches, puree soup in a blender; return to the pan. Heat for 5 minutes. Garnish with shredded carrots and green onions. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Vegetarian Split Pea Soup
Sort By :
"This is incredibly easy and tasty. I've been looking for a go-to split pea soup recipe. And I've finally found it! Thanks!"
"Yum! Very good and flavorful! I only blended half of the soup for a more hearty texture. Will try adding some veggie bacon next time too. Will make again forsure."
"OMG. This was terrific and a keeper. Thank you so much for posting...I omitted the salt,hubby can't have it. But neither of us cared it was so good."
"Didn't add any additional salt and it was fantastic!"
"Fantastic soup, but as a FORMER sufferer of high blood pressure, I skipped the gram of sodium per serving by using water instead of commercial veggie broth. To my palate there was no lack of flavor."