Vegetarian Spinach Curry Recipe
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked couscous, optional
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, cook the onion, garlic and curry powder in oil for 3-4 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, spinach and 1 cup garbanzo beans. In a blender, combine the broth and remaining garbanzo beans; cover and blend until smooth, about 2 minutes. Stir into skillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook and stir mixture is heated through. Serve over couscous if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1 cup curry, calculated without couscous) equals 193 calories, 6 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 764 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.