Vegetarian Spanish Rice
This rice recipe has been in our family for years. It's handy when you're in a hurry for a side dish to complement almost any main dish, not just Tex-Mex fare.
Sharon Donat of Kalispell, Montana
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender and
- liquid is absorbed. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 156 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 350 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.