Vegetarian Spaghetti Recipe
Who says spaghetti needs meat to be tasty? "I streamlined the original recipe for this deliciously different dish to reduce its 2-hour simmer time to just 10 minutes," comments Margaret Wilson from Hemet, California.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and garlic powder in oil until tender. Add the spaghetti sauce, beans, tomatoes, sugar, salt, oregano and bay leaf.
- 2. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Drain spaghetti; top with sauce and cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC