Vegetarian Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- Hot cooked pasta, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, chives, Italian seasoning, salt and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Stir in vegetarian meat crumbles; cook for 3-5 minutes or until heated through. Serve over pasta if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
1/2 cup sauce (calculated without pasta) equals 106 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 562 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.