Vegetarian Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
"I turned to soy crumbles when I was trying to reduce the fat and carbs from traditional marinara," explains Green Lake, Wisconsin's Thomas Licking. The result was this stick-to-your-ribs sauce that's so hearty, no one will miss the meat.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- Hot cooked pasta, optional
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, chives, Italian seasoning, salt and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Stir in vegetarian meat crumbles; cook for 3-5 minutes or until heated through. Serve over pasta if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Quick Marinara in Light & Tasty April/May 2006, p61
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Vegetarian Spaghetti Sauce(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Vegetarian Recipes >