Portobello mushrooms and baby spinach take the place of corned beef in this fresh take on a lunchtime staple. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 package (6 ounces) sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 8 slices marble rye bread
- 1/4 cup prepared Thousand Island salad dressing
- 8 slices process Swiss cheese
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 tablespoon oil until lightly
- browned; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same
- skillet, saute spinach in remaining oil until wilted. Remove from
- the heat.
- Spread bread slices with salad dressing and top with a cheese slice.
- Layer four slices with mushrooms, spinach and sauerkraut. Top with
- remaining bread. Butter outsides of sandwiches.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches for 2-3 minutes
- on each side or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich equals 475 calories, 30 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 1,446 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 18 g protein.