Vegetarian Reubens Recipe
- 1 package (6 ounces) sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 8 slices marble rye bread
- 1/4 cup prepared Thousand Island salad dressing
- 8 slices process Swiss cheese
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 tablespoon oil until lightly browned; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same skillet, saute spinach in remaining oil until wilted. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Spread bread slices with salad dressing and top with a cheese slice. Layer four slices with mushrooms, spinach and sauerkraut. Top with remaining bread. Butter outsides of sandwiches.
- 3. In a small skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 sandwich: 475 calories, 30g fat (12g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 1446mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 18g protein
Reviews for Vegetarian Reubens
"I could not get enough of this sandwich! I was worried that the spinach would add a bitter, mushy taste to the grilled cheese, but it was a nice compliment to the other flavors. The only problem I had was with the bread getting soggy pretty quickly after the sandwich leaves the griddle."
"A tasty twist on the classic grilled cheese. I love the mushrooms and sauerkraut combo."
"Myhusband and I are attempting to eat one meatless dinner a week. He is a big time meat and potatoes man. I made this a few weeks ago and he requested I make this again. It is very good."
"I hesitated to make this recipe as I really didn't think it would taste good. Boy was I wrong! The flavor combination really works, and it is so easy to make. I already bought the ingredients for another batch. I used pumpernickel bread."
"Husband didn't like spinach in sandwich and wanted more dressing but I liked it as written so we'll adapt his next time."