Portobello mushrooms and baby spinach take the place of corned beef in this fresh take on a lunchtime staple. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (6 ounces) sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 8 slices marble rye bread
- 1/4 cup prepared Thousand Island salad dressing
- 8 slices process Swiss cheese
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 tablespoon oil until lightly browned; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same skillet, saute spinach in remaining oil until wilted. Remove from the heat.
- Spread bread slices with salad dressing and top with a cheese slice. Layer four slices with mushrooms, spinach and sauerkraut. Top with remaining bread. Butter outsides of sandwiches.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Vegetarian Reubens in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy Annual 2005, p198
Reviews for Vegetarian Reubens
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review