- 1 package (6 ounces) sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 8 slices marble rye bread
- 1/4 cup prepared Thousand Island salad dressing
- 8 slices process Swiss cheese
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 tablespoon oil until lightly browned; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same skillet, saute spinach in remaining oil until wilted. Remove from the heat.
- Spread bread slices with salad dressing and top with a cheese slice. Layer four slices with mushrooms, spinach and sauerkraut. Top with remaining bread. Butter outsides of sandwiches.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Vegetarian Reubens
Sort By :
"I could not get enough of this sandwich! I was worried that the spinach would add a bitter, mushy taste to the grilled cheese, but it was a nice compliment to the other flavors. The only problem I had was with the bread getting soggy pretty quickly after the sandwich leaves the griddle."
"A tasty twist on the classic grilled cheese. I love the mushrooms and sauerkraut combo."
"Myhusband and I are attempting to eat one meatless dinner a week. He is a big time meat and potatoes man. I made this a few weeks ago and he requested I make this again. It is very good."
"I hesitated to make this recipe as I really didn't think it would taste good. Boy was I wrong! The flavor combination really works, and it is so easy to make. I already bought the ingredients for another batch. I used pumpernickel bread."
"Husband didn't like spinach in sandwich and wanted more dressing but I liked it as written so we'll adapt his next time."