Vegetarian Red Bean Chili Recipe
- 1 can (16 ounces) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until heated through. Serve with sour cream and cheddar cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Vegetarian Red Bean Chili
Sort By :
"To reduce salt, avoid processed foods like the veggie crumbles and canned tomatoes. Rinsing the beans mandatory, better yet, cook your own and freeze until needed. Use fresh tomatoes for the canned, quinoa for the crumbles. I agree too much cumin unless you really like the spice. Use minimum salt at cooking start, adjust about 30 minutes before meal finishes. For more interest, had frozen corn near end as well, heat just until corn is hot."
"Lwise--it's 1 and 1/3 cups serving."
"@Lwise- the serving size is One and one-third cups.This chili has a great flavor after a few minor alterations. The cumin would be overpowering at the stated amount, so I cut it to a rounded tsp and used only one can of tomato sauce with two cans of diced tomatoes. I added some green bell pepper and diced green chilies, with only 1/4 tsp cayenne. Oh, and we used ground beef, as we are not vegetarians. It's just a good, basic chili recipe which is easily altered to suit personal tastes."
"1/3 cup is a serving? I have never heard of a chili recipe with such a small serving. It seems like a lot of sodium and carbs for such a small amount."
"I reall modified this recipe. Instead of tomato sauce I used 2 pts of my canned tomatoes which has basically no salt in it. I only used the chili powder and pepper for seasonings , 1 cp water and the taste is great for us"