Vegetarian Potato au Gratin Recipe
Fill up on veggies and load up on great flavor with this creamy, hearty casserole. You'll appreciate the homey bread-crumb topping and hands-free bake time at the end of a long day. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing YIELD:6 servings
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, saute carrots and pepper in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in flour, oregano and salt until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in beans and 2 cups cheese until cheese is melted.
- 2. Layer half of the potatoes and sauce in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; repeat layers. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. In a microwave, melt the remaining butter. Stir in bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top.
- 3. Cover and bake 50-55 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 557 calories, 25 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 749 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 27 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC