- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked pearl (Israeli) couscous
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (19 ounces each) ready-to-serve tomato soup
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in the couscous, carrots, tomato, onion and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until tender and water is absorbed. Stir in the remaining ingredients; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Vegetarian Polka Dot Stew
"This recipe is good. I cooked it in a slow cooker by putting all the ingredients in except the couscous and water. I doubled the beans and added two 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes. The cooked couscous was added later."
"I cook for a family of four twice a week... they seriously ask me to make it at least one of the nights EVERY WEEK! haha! this recipe is easy and always turns out perfect for me.i make sure to use "pearled" cous cous every time to make it more polka-dot-like."
"Excellent meal for a weeknight. To up the appeal for my (decidedly non-vegetarian) husband, I served this over roughly crushed tortilla chips. The fresh-grated parmesan cheese over the top is a perfect finishing touch."