Vegetarian Nut Loaf Recipe
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups soft whole wheat bread crumbs (about 6 slices)
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, saute onions, mushrooms and green pepper in butter until tender. In a bowl, combine the mushroom mixture, carrots, celery, eggs, walnut, sunflower kernels, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Stir in bread crumbs:
- 2. Coat a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan with cooking spray, then line with waxed paper. Transfer vegetable mixture to a prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 223 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 321mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 0 starch, 1 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Vegetarian Nut Loaf
"Great ingredients, easy to assemble with a few shortcuts. Will update stars after family tastes"