"When I made this moist and tasty loaf for my vegetarian friends one Thanksgiving, they all took the recipe home with them," says Sherry Barber from Whittier, California. "To save time, I chop many of the ingredients a day ahead and store them in resealable plastic bags until baking day. I can't tell you how wonderful this loaf is.
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups soft whole wheat bread crumbs (about 6 slices)
- In a nonstick skillet, saute onions, mushrooms and green pepper in butter until tender. In a bowl, combine the mushroom mixture, carrots, celery, eggs, walnut, sunflower kernels, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Stir in bread crumbs:
- Coat a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan with cooking spray, then line with waxed paper. Transfer vegetable mixture to a prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Vegetarian Nut Loaf in Light & Tasty October/November 2004, p45
Reviews for Vegetarian Nut Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 20, 2014
"Great ingredients, easy to assemble with a few shortcuts. Will update stars after family tastes"