Vegetarian Nut Loaf Recipe
"When I made this moist and tasty loaf for my vegetarian friends one Thanksgiving, they all took the recipe home with them," says Sherry Barber from Whittier, California. "To save time, I chop many of the ingredients a day ahead and store them in resealable plastic bags until baking day. I can't tell you how wonderful this loaf is.
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups soft whole wheat bread crumbs (about 6 slices)
- In a nonstick skillet, saute onions, mushrooms and green pepper in butter until tender. In a bowl, combine the mushroom mixture, carrots, celery, eggs, walnut, sunflower kernels, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Stir in bread crumbs:
- Coat a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan with cooking spray, then line with waxed paper. Transfer vegetable mixture to a prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Vegetarian Nut Loaf in Light & Tasty October/November 2004, p45
Reviews for Vegetarian Nut Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 20, 2014
"Great ingredients, easy to assemble with a few shortcuts. Will update stars after family tastes"