Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, thyme and pepper
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 1% cottage cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, celery and garlic in oil until softened. Add the mushrooms; cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar and seasonings; simmer for 10 minutes. In a bowl, combine the cottage cheese, egg, parsley and salt.
- 2. Drain noodles. Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with four noodles, half of the cottage cheese mixture, half of the spinach, a third of the remaining sauce and a third of the mozzarella. Repeat layers.
- 3. Top with remaining noodles, sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer. Let lasagna stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
One serving (1 piece) equals 190 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 464 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.