Vegetarian Jambalaya Recipe
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, celery, green pepper, mushrooms in oil until tender; add garlic, cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, water, rice, soy sauce, parsley, salt, paprika, cayenne, chili powder and pepper.
- 2. Transfer to a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 187 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 339 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.