Vegetarian Egg Strata Recipe
“I used to make this with turkey or chicken sausage, but adapted it for a vegetarian friend, and it was a huge hit. I serve it with fresh breads or bagels and a big mixed salad featuring arugula, apples and walnuts for brunch. It also works well for lunch, served with tomato bisque.” —Danna Rogers, Westport, Connecticut
- 1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) day-old French bread, cubed
- 2 packages (5.3 ounces each) fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1-3/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large skillet, saute zucchini, red pepper, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic, thyme, salt and pepper; saute 1 minute longer.
- 2. In a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half the bread cubes, zucchini mixture, goat cheese and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, milk and nutmeg. Pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 4. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 281 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 140 mg cholesterol, 667 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC