- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 ounce Mexican chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- Optional toppings: diced tomatoes, chopped green onions and crumbled queso fresco
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Combine water, tomato paste, cornmeal, chili powder, salt, oregano, cumin and, if desired, pepper sauce until smooth; stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Vegetarian Chili Ole!
"We enjoyed this chili, but found it to be thicker than most."
"I have made this recipe more than once and it is fantastic. I add two cans of green chilies because I like extra heat, but otherwise, I keep it exactly the same. Yum!!"
"The rich mole-style sauce really adds depth to the flavor of this dish. This recipe is comfort food at its best!"
"Best Vegetarian chili I have ever tasted!!!"
"Really great recipe!"
"I made this instead of going out to our favorite Mexican restaurant one Friday night. Very satisfying!"