I combine ingredients for this hearty chili, chunky with veggies, the night before, put in my trusty slow cooker in the morning and come home to a rich, spicy meal at night! —Marjorie Au, Honolulu, Hawaii
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 ounce Mexican chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- Optional toppings: diced tomatoes, chopped green onions and crumbled queso fresco
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Combine the water, tomato paste, cornmeal, chili powder, salt, oregano, cumin and pepper sauce if desired until smooth; stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Vegetarian Chili Ole! in Healthy Cooking February/March 2012, p58
Reviews for Vegetarian Chili Ole!
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review