- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 2 teaspoons each shredded Swiss, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh dill or 1/8 teaspoon dill weed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg, separated
- 4 frozen bread dough rolls, thawed
- Fresh dill sprigs, optional
- In a skillet, saute the onion, red pepper and mushrooms in oil until tender. Remove from the heat and stir in the spinach, cheeses, seasonings and egg white; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball of dough into a 5-in. circle. Spoon a fourth of vegetable mixture onto the center of each circle to within 1 in. of edge. Fold dough over filling; pinch edged to seal.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Place a fresh dill sprig on each if desired. Beat egg yolk and brush over tops. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Veggie Calzones in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p69
Reviews for Vegetarian Calzones
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review