Vegetarian Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large head cabbage
- 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook cabbage in boiling water just until leaves fall off head. Set aside eight large leaves for rolls (refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use). Cut out the thick vein from each leaf, making a V-shape cut. Overlap cut ends before filling. Stir 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and lemon juice into vegetable mixture.
- 3. Place a heaping 1/3 cupful on each cabbage leaf; fold in sides. Starting at an unfolded edge, roll to completely enclose filling.
- 4. Combine tomato sauce and hot pepper sauce; pour 1/3 cup into a 2-qt. baking dish. Place cabbage rolls in dish; spoon remaining sauce over top. Cover and bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (2 cabbage rolls) equals 142 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 675 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch.