These do not taste like hamburgers, but they are so good! I made them for my family many years ago when I first became a vegetarian. At that time there were no prepared veggie burgers on the market. --Julie Ferron
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3/4 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 hamburger buns, optional
- Lettuce and tomato slices, optional
- Place sunflower kernels in a food processor; cover and process until
- ground. Remove and set aside. Place beans in food processor; cover
- and process until ground. In a large bowl, combine the sunflower
- kernels, beans, carrots, onion, flour and oil. Shape 1/2 cupfuls
- into patties.
- In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the patties
- over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned
- and crisp. Serve on rolls with lettuce and tomato if desired. Yield:
- 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 195 calories, 11 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 81 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 6 g protein.